By Alison Bechdel
From Amazon :
From the best-selling writer of enjoyable domestic, Time magazine’s No. 1 ebook of the yr, a brilliantly informed image memoir of Alison Bechdel changing into the artist her mom desired to be.
Alison Bechdel’s enjoyable domestic used to be a popular culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a moment exciting story of filial sleuthery, this time approximately her mom: voracious reader, track lover, passionate novice actor. additionally a girl, unhappily married to a closeted homosexual guy, whose creative aspirations simmered lower than the skin of Bechdel's early life . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter sturdy evening, eternally, while she was once seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for solutions about the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered seek that leads readers from the interesting lifestyles and paintings of the enduring twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to at least one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss representation, to Bechdel’s personal (serially monogamous) grownup love existence. And, eventually, again to Mother—to a truce, fragile and real-time, that may movement and astonish all grownup teenagers of proficient mothers.
NB : this is often my first add, please remark if difficulties
Read Online or Download Are You My Mother - A Comic Drama PDF
Best feminism books
The topic of lady transformation informs the Hollywood illustration of femininity from the studio period to the current. no matter if it happens bodily, emotionally, or on another point, transformation permits girl protagonists to barter their very own advanced wishes and to withstand the obligatory marriage plot.
"Singled Out debunks myths and stereotypes approximately unmarried humans and lays the basis for social, political, and fiscal swap. "
-- Thomas F. Coleman, govt Director, single America Drawing from many years of medical examine and stacks of reports from front traces of singlehood, Bella DePaulo debunks the myths of singledom---and indicates that nearly every thing you’ve heard in regards to the advantages of having married and the perils of staying unmarried are grossly exaggerated or simply undeniable fallacious. even supposing singles are singled out for unfair remedy via the office, undefined, and the federal tax constitution, they aren't easily sufferers of this singlism--single humans relatively live fortunately ever after. Singled Out Debunks Ten Myths of Singlehood, together with:
-Myth--The darkish air of secrecy of Singlehood: you're depressing and lonely and your existence is tragic.
-Myth--Attention, unmarried girls: Your paintings won’t love you again and your eggs will dry up. additionally, you don’t get any and you’re promiscuous.
-Myth--Attention, unmarried males: you're attractive, slovenly, and irresponsible, and also you are the dreaded criminals. otherwise you are attractive, fastidious, frivolous, and homosexual. “Elegant research, splendidly distinct examples, and transparent and witty prose…A must-read for all unmarried adults, their buddies and households, in addition to social scientists and coverage advocates. ”
--E. Kay Trimberger, writer of the hot unmarried Woman
“The singles flow is coming to a book shop close to you. ”
“Fascinating . . this publication might not often have come at a greater time. up to societal adulation of the couple discriminates opposed to unmarried humans, Singled Out means that it could possibly additionally undermine marriage. ”
--The Christian technology computer screen
Representations of sexual distinction (whether visible or textual) became a space of a lot theoretical problem and research in fresh feminist scholarship. but even if a variety of appropriate proof survives from the traditional close to East, it's been remarkable for these learning ladies within the historic global to stray outdoors the normal bounds of Greece and Rome.
Background books have both blurred, glossed, or passed over many occasions and other people all through historical past concerning girls and their roles in furthering the development of the world's cultures. what's women's historical past? Is it the historical past of intercourse or gender? Is it scholarly heritage, or a feminist perspective?
- Art and Anger: Reading Like a Woman
- Routledge Handbook of Social and Cultural Theory (Routledge International Handbooks)
- Desiring Revolution: Second-Wave Feminism And The Rewriting of American Sexual Thought 1920 to 1982
- Daring My Passages: A Memoir
- Bitch, Issue 60: Gray (Fall 2013)
Extra info for Are You My Mother - A Comic Drama
420. MacDonald, 'The Political Limitations of Post-modern Theory', p. 131. Zalewski, 'Feminist Theory and International Relations', p. 137. References within text removed. Goetz, 'Feminism and the Limits of the Claim to Know' , pp. 490-1. Scott, Gender and the Politics of History, p. 2. Catharine A. MacKinnon, Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1987), p. 234. Alcoff, p. 431. Scott, Gender and the Politics of History, p. 31. Joan Wallach Scott, 'Rewriting History', in M.
47. 48. 35 An Outgrowth of the Masculine Mentality', Atlantis, 12( I), 1987, pp. 10-17; Jean Bethke Elshtain, 'On Beautiful Souls, lust Warriors and Feminist Consciousness', Women's Studies Intemational Forum, 5(3/4), 1982; 'Reflections on War and Political Discourse: Realism, lust War and Feminism in a Nuclear Age', Political Theory, 13(1), February 1985 and Women and War (New York: Basic Books, 1987). For the review of these sources see Segal, Is the Future Female? pp. 179 ff. See summaries of this work in V.
65. 66. 67. 68. 69. 70. 71. 72. 73. 74. 75. 76. 77. 78. 79. 80. 81. 82. 83. 37 post-structuralism, see Eleanor M. D Dissertation, Department of Political Science, York University, North York, Ontario, September 1990. Alcoff, 'Cultural Feminism Versus Post-Structuralism,' p. 420. MacDonald, 'The Political Limitations of Post-modern Theory', p. 131. Zalewski, 'Feminist Theory and International Relations', p. 137. References within text removed. Goetz, 'Feminism and the Limits of the Claim to Know' , pp.